Thursday, October 10, 2002

My dream came true yesterday. No, not being hired to be a writer on the Daily Show or my dream date with pre-breast reduction Jennifer Connelly, but as I came home yesterday to check my mail, I found a big, huge fat check in there for $2500. Yes, $2500 just showed up like that in my mail box. And I didn't even have to put up with Ed McMahon to get it.

It's long and complicated (and not sordid at all), but it came from unemployment benefits I was apparently owed. I was so shocked to get it that once I saw it, I actually called the Unemployment people to ask them why they just gave me all that money. I mean, you just don't get checks for $2500 in the mail like that. A friend of mine even had to talk me into cashing it because I was so sure that in a few months, I'd get a call telling me that there was a big, huge mistake and the government would like to have their money back. But nope. As far as I know, it's legit. And, just like that, I made money for nothing. And considering it came from being unemployed, I really do mean nothing. Is there anything better than that? And here I was, feeling bad for slacking off on a Temp job because I had no work ethic.

What to do with the money is a whole other matter. I should put it in my savings so I'll have money in the bank for the next time I get laid off or if the new job doesn't work out, two things that are both in the realm of possibility (apparently, there's a high turnover rate with people in the position I accepted). I could also use the money to pay off my unbelievably high credit card bills. Or, I could buy this really sweet leather jacket that I was trying on yesterday. Or, I could get a hour and a half full-body massage instead of the plain ole hour long massage (which is gonna happen in a couple of hours and which will be the full hour and a half deep-tissue massage and yes, it's gonna feel gooooood). Not to mention buying scalper tix to Saturday's Giants game. Then there's the fact my printer's broke and my CD Walkman sucks and I do need some new clothes and Amoeba records might be having a sale this weekend and it would be kind of nice to have another bike. Or, oooh, a motor scooter. I'd so love to have a motor scooter. I love riding around on one of those things and I'd look so good driving one around with my new leather jacket……

No comments: