Thursday, December 11, 2003

Because I've been seeing a lot of family and old friends lately, I've been hearing a lot of this lately- "oh my God, you look great!" Sometimes I even get the "did you loose weight?" add on. While flattering, I usually wonder whether it's true and if I do indeed look fabulous or whether it's just something you say when you haven't seen someone in awhile. Like how people say "gezundheit" or "that sounds great, we'll give you a call in a couple of days to set up another interview." I guess it's all possible, but considering I've spent the better part of the last five months sitting on my ass at home surfing the Web and watching TV while munching on cheese and crackers, I don't really see how I could be looking that good (and speaking of which, I was all bummed when it turns out that I just missed the infamous episode where Dylan finally chooses Kelly and they both confront Brenda at that park somewhere in LA- absolutely brilliant stuff- but did turn in to catch the other infamous episode where Dylan's dad is blown up in the car, complete with Dylan screaming "Jack!!!!!!" while collapsing on the ground. That was followed by the dueling Luke Perry episode where Dylan confronts himself and the inner crying 13 year old Dylan. Good times). Maybe I'm a bit more relaxed looking than I have been (unemployment and denial will do that), but certainly not "have you lost weight?" worthy.

I guess I wouldn't be so out of sorts by it if it weren't for another friend of a friend who has recently discovered the Meaning Of Life through becoming a Bikram instructor. At some party over the weekend, she started telling me that she'll try and get me free passes to her yoga place. When I asked why she was willing to try and get me free passes and why I had to commit to going two to three times a week, I was told that I was "the type of guy who doing Bikram Yoga could do wonders for." When I pried to find out just what the hell she meant, I realized that she was getting at that I'd be type of guy who in three to four months could be placed on one of those "Before" and "After" ads to show the benefits of doing yoga. You know, after I had lost most of my beer belly and worry wrinkles and my nervous little eye twitchy thing I've recently reaquired lately due to this bout of unemployment.

No comments: