Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A few days ago, I got a call from some recruiters about a position they wanted me to go interview for. Now, the thing is, I have occasionally stretched the truth to get interviews and said I did things for which I did not do. This was one of those instances. Lately, I've been able to make it work and have been able to get myself an interview but this time, they actually had somebody on the staff who knew all the stuff I said I was doing and for thirty minutes, completely grilled me on this stuff. And not in any sort of way that would be easy to fake (like "how do you do this?" or "what would you do if this happens?" because I know enough about the stuff to come up with a semi-decent answer) but stuff I couldn't fake, stuff like "when did you do this? And how many times did you do this?" and "are you telling me that you've done this but the only time you did it was drunkenly at a party and it turns out you got it mixed up with 'Rock Band?'"

That was fun.

My only victory in the whole thing is that I didn't crack, didn't break down and tears and confess to everything and confess about things I never claimed to do ("I never climbed Mt. Everest either'"). In fact, I stayed strong and had the guy on the other end apoplectic on several occasions ("I don't get why you're saying 'Poker Face'" is your favorite song when according to Facebook it's one of those songs from 'Glee!' You don't even like Lady GaGa!"). Yay me.

The thing, though, is that when the recruiter told me about the job, he made it sound more entry-level and something I could do which is why I said sure, why not. Then I read the actual job description on the company's web site and realized that it was way over my head, so much so, I wasn't really comfortable even interviewing for the job and was contemplating telling the recruiter that I didn't want to do it. When the guy called every bluff I had ever made in my life, I didn't really freak out because it was my way of getting out of the situation as it were. I still did some amount of truth stretching (I had to) but I didn't really push it or stretch it that far. And when the guy started acting like a dick about it, whatever sort of flustered feeling that I had went away because I realized it was more fun to fuck with him than it was to panic over the interview. So, yeah, I lied a bit. But I was honest enough to realize my lying wasn't actually in my benefit so I purposely screwed it up.

Besides, the two recruiters I talked to were kind of dicks and deserved whatever shit I threw at them

No comments: