Saturday, May 15, 2004

Re-emerging for a blog posting, old skool style- more interview fun. Although at this point, blog postings about bad interviews are kind of like later season "Buffy" episodes when they had a one-off Monster-of-the-Week plot line and pretended they hadn't totally been-there-done-that with the whole Monster-of-the-Week plot line yet everyone involved looks completely bored to be doing it again. See, Buffy reference- I told you this posting will be old skool.

So, anyways, on Friday I was twenty-five minutes late for an interview. An interview for a job in which I knew going in I probably would never get only because the job posting was asking for some serious technical stuff (Flash, Java, DART) and I don't know any of that stuff. And it should have been pretty obvious that I didn't know any of that stuff because none of it is on my resume. Yet they called me in. But I digress.


Now, you may be asking, how did I wind up twenty-five minutes late?

Interview is scheduled for three for some place in Brisbane. Having worked in Brisbane, I know the area fairly well and thought it would be easy. Or, so I thought. Here's what happened

1:45- Arrive ten minutes early at bus stop. Transit Oriented Web site says next bus will arrive at 2
2:00- No bus
2:15- Still no bus
2:18- Bus arrives
2:35- Miss bus stop. Turns out the name given on site as the place I should get off is a trailer park, not a street. Turns out too that trailer park is totally enclosed by fencing from construction work. And stop isn't announced by spiffy new P.A. system on bus. Figure there's no problem as there appears to be a stop on every block and the next stop should be coming up soon.
2:40- Haven't stopped at a bus stop yet. Apparently, stopped I missed was the last stop for a couple of miles
2:45- Finally get off. I can see where I'm supposed to go from the stop and figure I might still be able to make it. Especially if I get lucky and find a cab.
2:47- Realize there's no cab to be found. Start walking.
2:55- After walking into a dead end, I realize that there's actually no way to cross from one side of Highway 101 and the other side of Highway 101. In other words, even though I'm about a mile from where I have to go, there's absolutely no way I can walk to there. Also realize directions on Web site don't actually let you know that there is no way of crossing 101 in this area.
2:57- Find payphone and call person to let them know I'll be late. Am told "it's no problem." Tell them I'm in South San Francisco and that I'm going to look for a cab and should be there in about ten minutes.
3:00- Start looking for cab. There's none to be found
3:05- Find hotel and ask them to call me a cab. They tell me it'll be ten minute wait
3:20- Cab shows up.
3:25- Arrive for interview
3:45- Try not to look panicked when person whose interview me tells me show knows evil old boss. No, not the last one, but the one who ran the company with Mr. DJ and Rocker Girl and the Snoring Salesman. Think I do a good job.
4:15- Interview over, I go downstairs and wait for shuttle to take me to BART (shuttle doesn't start til 4). Think about how cool it would be to get the job. For about a minute. Then think about how I really need a drink.


No comments: