Monday, December 08, 2008

During my many unemployments, when I was down and running out of money, people would tell me that, well, there's always Starbucks. But a man has his limits and one of mine is that I didn't want to wear some sort of outfit. Then there's the fear I'd have that it makes you look like that much of a loser if you're serving lates with some kind right out of college in your 30's.

The good thing about a depression, though, is that since nobody has a job, there is no dignity to lose because nobody has any dignity anymore. We're all in the same boat. So who cares if I have to work at the 'Bucks this time around because I know I won't be the only 40 year old wearing Starbucks' outfit and making frappucinos. In fact, I'm willing to bet that at this time next year, a large percentage of people working at Target, Starbucks, and/or McDonald's are going to be people who a year before were all in middle management.

And speaking of jobs, I'm all in favor of Obama's stimulus plan and I'm eagerly awaiting to start my future career in highway construction. Which brings up the point that the stimulus' plan doesn't seem quite fair as it doesn't include anything for us ex-liberal arts majors, people who I might add or some of the most under-employed types in the country. Couldn't part of that stimulus package include us? New highways aren't going to market themselves, ya know. Or maybe they could create some sort of program where all you'd have to do is sit at a desk and surf the web all day. In fact, if you know your Depression History, FDR actually created a whole bunch of jobs for the artists out there. So, if you're reading this, Barack Hussein, couldn't there be some sort of nationalized blogger force?

No comments: