Saturday, January 10, 2009

Due to certain, errr, tolerance related stomach issues, I have discovered that my new favorite drink is a soy chai late, something that embarrasses me to no end as I don't think it gets anymore pretentiously California. And speaking of coffee, I was at Peet's this morning and noticed that most of the counter people were people my age or slightly older. I know there's plenty of economic stats out there but I think another leading indicator should be the amount of middle-management types in their 30's and 40's who are working at coffee shops. Same with, say, people in their in their 50's and 60's bagging groceries at Safeway (that's my big fear as my next career plan).

For that reason, I think that part of Obama's big stimulus package should be subsidizing coffee shops because us middle aged folks need somewhere to work when we all get laid off and better Peet's than say the Gap or temp assignments involving filing. There should be part of the plan, however, which dictates the kind of coffee shop one works based on their previous position. People who are just cogs in the great wheel of capitalism, the kind who go to work to support a house and kids and do nothing that harmless, can get their picks of coffee shops. Those who were high powered executives at financial institutions should be forced to work at coffee shops at places like those on 22nd & Guerrero, the kind that involves crappy hand-me down furniture, snotty clientele, and the possibility of being caught in a gang related shooting.

No comments: