Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Yeah, it's the Wank of the Week. Frankly I'm a little tired tonight and a little burned out on this thing to care about it much, but as this week is the super-fabulous State of the San Francisco Music Scene issue ("I know more unknown bands than you do and I've seen more cool-ass shows than you ever will!"), I had to. Besides, check this beauty out:

But then I don't buy into that West Coast-East Coast paradigm, that old battle, which I suspect those groups did. Maybe it's myopia, and maybe I'm just a Pacific Rim baby, loving and hating Island California, allergic to tie-dye, apart from the Chun metal-grunge years, and admiring the always resurgent curiosity, the passion for the new in this green world. I may be an Anglophile, but I'm just as much an Asiaphile, and when I look for guidance or validation, I don't turn to the East, Europe, or the Far East, for that matter, but instead check a complicated compass that's both internal and communal. And in that sense maybe I'm a lot like the folks who make up the current incarnation of the San Francisco sound.


Side note- year after year, we always hear stories about what a great scene we have here and how many wonderful bands we have playing and what a huge influence we are around the world and how we're just as cool as New York and blah blah blah. But how many of those bands actually amount to anything? And how many just don't disappear into the ether within two or three years? And how many of those bands that do actually make it, are then attacked and ridiculed for making it? Eh, but what do I know, I spent the past week in Chile trying to track down the new U2 new album, finally buying it in all it's chimey-Edge guitar goodness my last day there. Who wants to be like U2 when you can be some super-cool arty type band that plays to the same 50 people every month at Kimo's?

No comments: