Monday, September 05, 2005

(Yes, I realize that in light of what's going on, this next post is a little bit over the top, but remember, it's all about comic effect here and I actually was able to keep things in a lot more perspective than I'm about to make it sound. Anyways).

Friday night comes and my after-work drinks plan never came to fruition. So I decide to make a nice mellow night out of it. Go rent a DVD, watch some TiVo, and hit some sleeping pills so I can get some good sleep. I've been battling some nasty-ass insomnia lately (seriously, some of the worst ever) and was a bit ragged. Plus, with me off to the Fatherland in a few days, I got plenty of excitement coming to me. So what's a nice, mellow Friday night?

I pick up a DVD of Anchorman, a movie I only saw on an airplane and which some people swear by and which I really wanted to see. Since I have an old TV, I have to actually switch some chords around to get the DVD to play. The problem is that I rent so few DVDs due to the wonders of TiVo that I kind of forgot which chords had to be moved where. Which I kind of knew was going to happen.

I move a few things around and nothing. No Anchorman. And then after a few more moves, no picture on the TV screen. Nothing, Nada, No TiVO. Hell, no TV. I got nothing but snow.

Well, now what do I do? I'll go play online. DSL goes out. But wait, it gets better. You know that quiet night I was hoping for? The courtyard neighbors decide to throw a party that night so at about ten, their stereo cranks up and I hear all these people downstairs partying.

So now I have no TiVO, no TV, no DVD and no internet connection. In other words, I HAVE NOTHING. What does one do without TV or the internet? And even worse, there's a party going on across the way guarenteed to go to like three in the morning.

Luckily, I still managed to pass out around 11, more out of sheer boredome (and Tylenol PM) more than anything.

No comments: