Monday, June 12, 2006

Quick hits from the weekend

-Because I'm about to turn 38, it totally makes sense that I spent a large part of this night downloading Iron Maiden tunes. And speaking of which what does it say that while in the store shopping, a song came on the radio and I knew instantly that it was Christina Aguilera?

-Being on a hot streak while playing black jack turns out to be a bit more stressful than I thought it would be. Every time I won, while happy, I kept on thinking that this hot streak has to end at some point. The more I won, the more I amazed I was and the more sure I was that the bottom was about to fall out.

-Yes, I do have World Cup fever. I love the World Cup even if for the first time in like twelve years, I am actually working at the time of the World Cup (although it's looking like I'll have take a day off to cover it for Deadspin). In fact, the scary thing about all this is I was actually doing this blog in '02 the last time there was a World Cup and for whatever reason, that BLOWS MY MIND.

Anyways, today's defeat by the Americans blow for all sorts of reasons. It's not like I expected them to win, nobody did, but it would have been nice to put a nice showing together. Among other things, it makes it harder to get into the team if they suck. Plus, wasn't this supposed to be the best American team ever? Aren't we supposed to be plucky and hard working? We most definately were not.

-I have become fascinated with the new Real World/Road Rules Challenge. In this version, "alumni" of the shows, meaning the biggest camera ho's in the RW/RR Challenge world compete against "fresh meat." "Fresh meat" are basically people who so desperately wanted to be on one of these things that they tried out to appear on it. In other words, you know how people watch say baseball games and dream of being in a game and hitting a hugely important home run or doing any other sort of thing baseball players do? Well, these people have the same dream. Except their dream is to be on an MTV reality show. And not just any reality show. After all, one could make a case that there is something understable to being on a dating show or "Made" or, hell, even the "Real World" (well, mainly the early seasons when there was at least a half-hearted attempt to show people having normal existences). But these people want to appear on the Challenge. These are people who are really excited about the idea of seeing Tonya or Theo. Or "hooking up" on camera. Or getting in all of those little nasty fights that often appear on the show. These people want to get tangled up with Coral or exchange crazy-ness with Tonya. And may we even add that for whatever reason, these are people deemed not good enough to appear on "the Real World" so they get shunted off to the challenge show.

It goes without saying these people need to be sent to Iraq.

No comments: