Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Lately, I've been discovering that I'm moving away from listening to Live 105 and switching more and more to KFOG. This concerns me.

For years, I've always thought of KFOG as the radio station listened to by either white-bred Yuppies or old, aging baby boomers still holding onto the rock. I did not want to be in either category so while I respected the station for it's enormously huge catalogue and variety of songs, I didn't want to be a Foghead. Also, they tend to play either Bonnie Rait or Robert Cray like every hour and I cannot abide by either of them.

But now, I'm starting to creep more and more to KFOG on my radio dial. Now some of it is because I once again find myself hating Live 105's playlist. They tend to play over and over "classic alt-rock" from the previous decade that I've heard already over and over again because I was actually around in the previous decade and all those just craptastic "emo" bands that are out there. Thankfully, they tend to go light on Fall Out Boy, but there's still way too many of those simliar, carbon copy bands out there. So while I like the fact they tend to play music that I might love (like the mighty Wolfmother), those moments come few and far between.

The main thing, however, is that I'm starting to move farther and farther away from wanting, for lack of a better word, "to rock." I'm starting to dig mid-tempo songs more than fast songs, acoustic treatmens rather than overfed electric guitars and kinda digging pretty over raw.

In other words, after years and years of trying to hold true to some sort of edge, I am slowly losing my edge. Is it almost being 40? The girlfriend? My hatred of emo bands? I don't know. All I can say is I'm getting a little concerned here.

Oh, KFOG may have a wide variety of songs and almost impecable taste, but they still, occasionally, bust out 4 Non-Blonde's "What Goes On" and this is absolutely INEXCUSABLE. There is no reason to ever, ever, every play this song. Ever. It's so awful it doesn't stand up as ironically fun due to it's pure suckiness and the yodeling over-and over again of the chorus.

No comments: