Thursday, November 29, 2007

I'm waiting to hear about a job in which last week I was told that I would hear back from them "late" this week. Meaning now. Having been through this thing, I know "late this week" usually means Wednesday or Thursday and Friday means you didn't get it only because they like having an answer wrapped up before the weekend comes. Of course, that could mean they haven't decided but if they said "late next week" that means there's a hitch. And all this despite things going what I thought was relatively well (see posting about hour and a half interviews). I mean, they brought me back to the boss's office to talk about when I could leave Oracle and full time vs trial period.

And then...then... I sent the usual "thank you" notice and since it was Thanksgiving, I added a "happy thanksgiving" to my thank you notice and one of the people I interviewed with sent me a note back saying "thanks, Jon. I hope you have a happy thanksgiving too." Now, they wouldn't respond to a thank you email if they weren't serious about hiring you, right? That's totally leading you on.

But now that I'm in the waiting stage, it's torture. Just torture and I forgot how awful it is. Hell, it's so tortourus (yeah, I know I spelled it wrong-- get over it) that even Dick Cheney would think it's too much. I'm clicking on my email account every minute to see if I got an email and doing the "ring, damnit, ring" thing to my phone.

Today, while going off to the gym, I got a phone call around the time the company usually does their official stuff (after 5). So I nearly swerved my car trying to get the phone out of my pocket and naturally, I missed it but I did get a voicemail. I furiously tried to get the voicemail message but after running into somebody, realized I could wait the two minutes before I made it into the gym's garage.

The voicemail message? A recorded message about carpet cleaning.

No comments: