Wednesday, January 06, 2010

While I was away, I got an email about setting up a time to do a phone interview. I emailed them back and let them know when I'd be around but have yet to hear back about when they'd actually call me. This happens sometimes and it could often lead to one of those mystifying deals in which a job is blown due to the fact I was not able to do the phone interview when they actually called about the phone interview. Or in this case, because I was unable to do a phone interview during the Holidays in part because I was in Montana. Actually, it could be something else. See the person who contacted me had a Korean name that could either be one word or two words and as I don't know Korean names all that well, I didn't know just how many words it was supposed to be. I looked throughout her email to see what it was and responded back to her making her name just one word. I later realized it's supposed to be two words. So now I'm wondering if I totally screwed the pooch on that one just because I didn't get her somewhat exotic first name correct. I mean, if she was a Sue or a Jane I could be interviewing with them right now

Also, had an interview last week and while taking the bus, had somebody reeking of booze and cigarettes sit next to me. Luckily, he didn't sit next to me long enough to be one of those awful MUNI moments, but I still wonder whether he was next to me long enough that the stench he emanated somehow got on my suit which meant that I conducted my interview with a bit of his stench on me. Not good.

As for the interview, the place I talked to looked like it had been recently bombed out. There was no receptionist when you entered the office and when you did, you saw what should have been a very large reception/waiting room now completely empty except for a few chairs, a couch, a coffee table, and a massage chair (?). There was also four TVs hanging from the ceiling but none of them were on at the time and the file cabinets that were to each side of the room were completely empty. When I walked through the office to get to the bathroom, I saw aisle after aisle after aisle of completely empty cubicles and offices and it felt like to get to the bathroom, you had to make your way through a graveyard. There was, I noticed, maybe ten employees at the most in the actual office at that time. I should mention too that the whole thing was eerily like a 2000 dot-com crash office in that they had a massage chair, TVs in the reception area, and a primo real estate state featuring a primo view of North Beach but had nobody working there.

No comments: