Sunday, December 04, 2005

Sorry for the no post in awhile, but my trusty Ruby Red iMac has been acting up lately which prevented me from posting. In fact, it's kind of sad what's going on. It's like "Brian's Song" when Brian starts getting sick-- one by one, things that it used to have no problem doing is now being problematic and I have a feeling it's going to end with my getting all weepy and teary and giving it a speech as it bid it buh-bye.

So sad.

Anyways, here'a few quit things:

-To the girl at the bookstore on Saturday. If you've gotten so fat that the skirt you are wearing no longer can be button so you have to wear a belt to keep it up, maybe you shouldn't be wearing the skin tight, baby-t shirt. I know having a huge, prodigious beer gut maybe "empowering" and yeah, some of us guys do it, but ugly is ugly is ugly. Big shirts- look into it.

-Are bars getting louder or am I going deafer? It seems lately that whenever I've gone to some, crowded, happening bar, I can't hear anything and I spend all my time yelling "what?" at people. Is this always the way it's been and I'm just know not liking it? Am I getting deafer in my old age? Or are they cranking the steros up in the bars because all the younger kids are deafer from having iPods on 24/7?

-My feeling is that part of the reason why people are collectors is because of the buzz you get when you find something you've been searching forever. Like record collectors. They hear about some Monkees bootleg that was only released in Sri Lanka and it becomes all about getting their hands on that Monkees bootleg, even though it is a Monkees bootleg. For me, that's what I love about downloading music-- it's not necessarily having the songs to listen to, it's about finally being able to download it. Half the songs I've downloaded I barely liten to, but I'm super psyched I downloaded it.

Anyways, over the past couple of weeks, I've finally found the Holy Grail of downloading (well, for me). The first is the Afghan Whigs covering "the Temple" from JC Superstar that was on their album "Congregation." Now, it's a great song with a great riff but the fact that it's from a credible indie band as opposed to an original broadway soundtrack makes it something you can get away with cranking a lot more (cranking Andrew Lloyd Weber, after all, is verboten if you're a straight male). Plus, I loved that Whigs album back in the day and might just go out and buy it again. Then there's the one I've spent months and months searching after, a bootleg version of the Who's "Naked Eye" from their '82 tour. Today, I got it.

And for that, it was a good weekend.

PS- I also stumbled upon an acoustic version of "Mayonaise" from Siamese Dream, a pretty great one, in fact, that is totally ruined by Billy cracking up and laughing towards the end. Which kind of sums the Pumkpins up- something totally great that was totally ruined by Billy cracking up.

-In case anybody asks, no, I do not want printer ink. Even if it is 85% off.

No comments: