Monday, July 17, 2006

A few odds and sods since I haven't posted in awhile

-I was at Safeway a few weeks ago and there was a woman behind me at the register. She was huge, like beyond fat into a whole other realm of fatness. Her entire purchase consisted of everything diet-- diet coke, diet snacks, diet frozen food. So the question is raised-- at that much fatness, how much does drinking diet coke instead of coke really matter? And really, if you want to lose weight, should you even be drinking coke?

-And yes, I enjoyed the Bush caught on tape thing as much as the next person, although I have to admit if I didn't hate the dude so much, it would be kind of endearing in a slobs vs. the snobs kind of way. On the other hand, you could totally envision how pretty much the exact second he leaves one of those summit things, all the other leaders instantly start gossiping about what outrage he had committed this time. Also, the best part wasn't him cursing or his talking while eating (seriously, did he even try to cover up his mouth? Blair seems like he's a bit on the stuffy, anal retentive streak too so you could imagine what he was thinking) was his little discussion with the guy from China about how long it would take to go home and how China is a big country and Russia is a big country too. Besides the fact it proves that even in private, he still has an amazing ability to say completely obvious, no duh things, and yet make it sound as if he was imparting some greater wisdom, he is such the Ugly American.

-Sick over the weekend and because walking the four or five blocks to the video store would be such an ordeal, downloaded episodes of 24 off itunes and started watching it. I had always heard it was a great show and everyone at the water cooler supposedly watches it (I actually don't really know anyone who does, but the bloggers love it) and all I can say is, eh, not bad. I like the gimmick and I like the plot and think it's pretty clever what they're doing. And yes, I'm into the story-line (it's the first season), but.... first of all, the whole daughter being kidnapped by frat dudes is pretty unbelievable. And yeah, I realize you need to have some sort of suspension of disbelief to watch it, but that's a little too much. As is the idea of a black guy about to be elected President (just joking). Actually, the other thing is a plane gets blown up over LA and the leading contendor for President has some sort of European hitman after him and nobody seems that panicked. Maybe a little panicked, but not that much panicked. It's more like they're all just having a bad day. Not on "Oh My God" kind of bad day.

-And finally I watched the infamous Chappelle Show skit which caused Dave to quit, the racist pixie one. If you remember correctly, Dave quit because some white guy laughed at the wrong moment and made Dave think not everyone was getting the point of his comedy. Anyways, I laughed out loud a few times during the skit. Which makes me wonder if I laughed at the right moment or the wrong one?

No comments: