Thursday, June 25, 2009

And One More Thing

Here's the thing about celebrity deaths, that for whatever reason, I'm supposed to care that Farrah Fawcett died. I do not. Not at all. Yet, I'm supposed to think that I do. What exactly has Farrah done? She was on an iconic poster (true) and was on a hit tv show for like a year until she thought she was too big for the show and got replaced by somebody hotter (that would be Cheryl Ladd and, yes, I said it). After that, she did zilch. Nothing. Basically lived off of her fame and her attachment to somebody who also had a certain amount of fame.

Don't care.

So with that being said, here's my Michael Jackson story....

I went to Malaysia like twelve years ago and while I was there, Michael Jackson was in Malaysia to play a concert in Kuala Lumpur. This was when Michael still toured but could only tour in places like Asia or Eastern Europe because nobody toured there and they were so excited he came there, they forgot about the whole sleeping with boys thing. Michael's presence in Malaysia was a huge frickin' deal and was all over the news and papers for like a week or so. When we were at Kuala Lumpur, my friends and I were driving around looking for something to do and drove past one of their biggest, fanciest hotels and saw a huge line of mainly kids out in front of the hotel holding up signs for Michael Jackson. No word on whether or not they were invited in for some Jesus Juice. On my way to Kuala Lumpur, I was on a bus and sat next to an Indonesian family that had flown up from Indonesia just to see Michael. They were all very nice and friendly and were wearing Michael Jackson shirts and hats and couldn't wait to see him. That story isn't so exciting to you, I guess, but it is for me because how many times have you been on some random bus in Malaysia talking to some Indonesians wearing Michael Jackson baseball hats?

No comments: