Wednesday, April 30, 2003

How can I be so tired right now? I'm sleeping better than I have in awhile, I'm not doing diddly at work, yet all I want to do is sleep. Why can't I just wake up?

Anyways, there's a park in the center of Brisbane, about a fifteen minute walk from my office. During my long lunch today, I walked into the chidren's park on the way to the lovely strip-mall that contains all of the restaurants in Brisbane. From afar, it looked like the park was surrounded by a gravelly kind of pavement, but as I walked on it, I realized it wasn't pavement at all. It was spongey and bouncy, some newfangled type turf put up in kiddy park's to keep the kids safe. Riding on this spongey kind of pavement were two kids learning to bike. Or at least, I think they were. It kind of looked like they were riding bikes with training wheels, except for the fact that the training wheels were the same length as the actual tires. So, unlike most training wheels, which are used as support when you fall over to one side, these propped up the entire bike. The bikes, then were more like quadracycles than bicycles. But if that weren't enough, as these two kids were riding their totally safe bikes on a totally safe pavement, their watching mother also made them wear bike helmets.

I ask you- can there be such thing as too much child protection?

No comments: