Friday, April 11, 2003

So Friday's looking like a really fun day...

Wake up at normal time, make some bullshit call into work about having to come into late (doctor's appointment or just late still to be determined), go to one of those two-hour in-and-out meet someone every fifteen minutes type job interviews, somehow figure out a way to not only change out of my interview clothes but quickly get back to my job eight miles away and no car to call my own, catch up on the pile of work sitting at my desk all with heavy deadlines, prep everything for a week-long interview, pack, go to the airport, and then take a red-eye flight back east. I know- it's a gas, gas, gas.

I hate red-eye flights too. I can't sleep for shit on planes but usually find myself trying to more out of boredom than anything else. Even if I do fall asleep, which I won't because I never do, I'm still up against the fact that I'll be landing at Dulles about 4:15 my time. Not exactly a great time to be waking up on a normal day, let alone one that includes a job interview, crazed work day, and a five hour plane flight. The worst thing about Red Eye flights, actually is knowing that when you go to bed on the day before the red-eye, you know it's gonna be another day before you'll be able to sleep in a bed again.

It totally helps that due to work stress and out-of-nowhere, totally random job interview, I've been fighting a raging case of insomnia. I think I've been averaging about three to four hours of sleep since Saturday night and have the bags underneath the eyes to prove it. Insomnia is hard enough, but try doing it while everything is going to hell in a hand-basket at work. Not to mention being overcome with both guilt and amazement at finding myself going through a second round of interviews after submitting a resume on a lark.

Oh yeah, I'm looking for another job. Or, at least, sent out a resume just for the hell of it and got a phone call back for an interview. The last thing I wanted to do is another job interview. I could go years without wanting to go through the hell of looking for a job again. Yet, what the hell. And with that, I don my totally frayed sports jacket, my suddenly tighter than I remember good pants, and grab my "How To Answer Every Dumb-Ass Question You Could Be Asked During a Job Interview- Third Edition" for my second round of interviews and jump back into the fray. Oh, how I remember the fun of making a mad-dash to make an interview on time, only having to wait half-an-hour before they come and meet you.

Uh, I think I'm rambiling here. See above note about insomnia, stress and geniune frazzlement. What's that prayer about G-d giving you strength? Well, G-d give me strength. Not to mention no more feelings of guilt about bailing on work for the morning or looking for another job. And the ability kick-butt tomorrow. And if there is no G-d, then I bow to you, oh mighty Caffeine to help me make it through the day.

Peace out.

No comments: