Tuesday, April 22, 2003

To get to work, I have to take BART and then hop on a shuttle. The shuttle comes every half an hour at designated times so as a result, I often meet up with the same coworkers whenever I go out and wait for the shuttle. There's a woman who I work with, who while very nice, is a talker. A never shutting-up, always rambling on, occasionally extremely boring talker. Even worse, she only talks about herself. Just on and on and on and on about something she did, something she's doing, something she knows about. While she is really nice (and kind of cute) I have no idea how her boyfriend hasn't strangled her yet.

Today I went out to get the shuttle, totally exhausted from a still lingering case of jet-lag and post-quitting drama, and saw her already at the stop. Great, I muttered to myself. All I wanted to do was read the paper and relax. I hate whenever I have to take the shuttle back with her.

But then, I figured it all out. It's so easy. The last thing I wanted to do was actually have a conversation with anyone, I was way too tired to do anything silly like that, so I figured that all I had to do was just sit there, occasionally nod my head like I was paying attention and ask her a question when the conversation would wane and I was faced with the fact I might have to say something.

It worked perfectly. She went on and on, I just nodded my head, asked the occasional question, and completely zoned out as she droned on. Good thing I'm leaving soon.

No comments: