Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Goodbye "Angel." Goodbye Buffyverse and say goodnight Joss. Things really are changing, aren't they?

So the big question I'm sure everyone's wondering is where's Hooray for Anything? After continuing gigs on Treasure Island and one day as a Health Spa attendant picking up towels in a five star hotel (a perfectly kind of fun job in a now-that's-new kind of way, but after picking up towels of way too many people younger than me, all I could say after awhile is Viva La Revolution), I'm in Oaktown, doing the phone/admin thing at a place that puts organs from organ donors together with the recepients of said organs. It's kind of an organ dating service in a way.

It's kind of an interesting thing. So far, in only two days, I've handled calls involving autopsies, mismatched organs, and family members trying to donate every organ they have to sick family members. Kind of different from doing data entry or filing, n'est pas? Thing is considering the job, I can't really slack off. You know, like not pass a message along or half-ass a call transfer. It also means that when somebody calls up with a question, like how to volunteer or what to do with some kid who was in the paper because he needed a heart transplant in a few months or he's going to die, I really have to use my best phone voice. No groggy need-more caffeine voice or you're-stupid-cell-phone-keeps-on-conking-out voice.

Still, there's something kind of weird about the whole thing. Here I am a temp, on the second-day of a job. To me, it's just a phone call and a phone call transfer when in actuality, what I'm doing is helping save somebody's life. No, I'm not the doctor or the "Placement Coordinator" but just by doing my job, somebody's life could be saved.

As I said, beats the hell out of doing data entry. Yay me.


No comments: