Wednesday, May 05, 2004

Yeah, I'm back. Miss me?

Got bitched out yesterday by a temp agency. I had this stupid group interview for a sort-of telemarketing/fund raiser thing that I stupidly agreed to go to and bailed on. Not only that, I showed up about ten minutes late. So while checking my messages from another job, I got this long, five minute bitch-out by the person who got me the interview.

Okay, I was late. That's lame. And I said I'd represent and I didn't. But I'm sick again (long, long weeked), the bus took forever, there was a really good "Charmed" on that morning, and, well, the whole thing was one of those things that the whole time I sat there I kept on thinking to myself "this is going to make one hell of a job entry."

See, it's some group interview thingy, which means that basically about twenty people were assembled in a room, all sent from various temp agencies in hopes of getting the five available positions. The whole thing started off with the people who were running it asking everyone to introduce themselves. Now, first of all, what the hell am I supposed to say? "Hi, I'm Hooray for Anything" and I'm here because I'm an unemployed loser who can't get a job?" Since the thing was for a non-profit, everyone else was saying things like "oh, I really like kids" or "I've spent a lot of time working for non-profits and am looking for more non-profit work." Which, of course, is all bullshit. It's a TEMP JOB. It's for four weeks at eleven bucks an hour. Nobody really wants to be there.

Then the women started asking questions, like "why would somebody want to do this?" or "what kind of resistance will you get when you call them?" For this, they asked for responses from the people there. And people responded. Like they cared. Yeah, I know it's a job interview (sort of) but once again, it's a TEMP JOB. Do the women who are going to make the decision think that the two or three people who answered every question really, really cares that much about answering the question? (ed.- maybe that was the point.)

After that, they went through the call script and told everyone they were going to do a one-on-one type test to see how we'd all do on the phone. Which is when I bailed. Look, I've done market research on the phone before. I can bring it on the phone. I also hated it. And I don't see myself as being the type of person whose going to be calling Larry Ellison and asking him for money for Jerry's Kids.

All of which is why I got the phone call. Okay, I deserved it in a way. And I should probably call up and apologize and come up with some B.S. excuse. But you know what? This particular Temp Agency has never called me. When I call them about a job listing, they don't call me back. They've even been snippy on the phone when I try and get some information out of them. And every temp agency, like every recruiter, gets all excited whenever they think they have something for you, then completely disappears on you when it's over. So, basically, if you're going upset by my behavior, well excuse me.

I just don't think I'm going to be calling them again for a job.

No comments: