Wednesday, May 26, 2004

I'm so very, very tired.....

I'll save y'all from the minute-to-minute details of my oh so very long day. More big interview fun, let's just say. I will however, provide the highlights:

-After spending about two hours commuting from Oakland to Mountain View, my recruiter actually picked me up at the train station to drive me to my interview at Big Database Software Company (and no, it's not the one you're thinking of). After she dropped me off, she told me that she was going to meet with the company's recruiter and that when she was done, she'll just come on by and wait for my interview to be over so she could drive me back to the train station. While I appreciate the rides to and from, especially as it saved me lots of time and money, I do have to wonder this: shouldn't my recruiter be doing something else with her day other than driving me to and from an interview? And what does it say that she's going out of her way to make sure I get to the interview?

-Interview starts off with the guy I'm meeting telling me he loved my resume, but that he wondered if I was overqualified. Now, first of all, if it's the same type of job I always send out resumes for and interview for, then why don't I have a job? Has the problem been simply because I'm overqualified? And if so, how come I can't even get a gleam of an interview for any job that I am totally underqualified for? The main thing I wonder, though, is how could I be overqualified for a job that pays way, way, way more than I've ever made? Or ever asked? How can someone be overqualified for a job that pays them about 1/4 more than they've ever made?

I almost choked when he said that.

-Finally, if you're interviewing someone, don't tell them how hard it is to find someone. And don't tell them that you had problems finding someone with the exact skill set that they found in my resume. First of all, no sympathy. None. Second of all, thanks for the set-up. I'll feel that much better when I don't get the thing. Strange thing is that I've heard that before a couple of other places which makes me feel that much better about myself in not being employed.

No comments: