Wednesday, December 19, 2001

A couple of weeks ago, I actually got a response to resume that I sent out concerning a job. Considering how rare that it is, I was stunned and excited. The person who responded said my resume looked great and that they'd be giving me a call to set up an interview. The call never came. Day after day went by and I'd constantly check my messages at least three times a day, hoping that call would come. I even sent an e-mail to follow up on, saying I hadn't heard back from them and was still really interested in the job.

Today, several weeks after the initial e-mail, I finally got an e-mail back from them saying that they found somebody else who would be perfect for the job and were hiring them. But what about me? I could have been even more perfect that that person was. How would they know? They never called me to set up an interview.

So, if they didn't call me for an interview, why did they go through all the trouble of telling me my resume looked great and that they'd call me? Why didn't they call me? Was it something I said? Was my grammar bad in my e-mail back to them? What did I do wrong? And yes, I am taking it a little too personally.

When something like this happens, it's like when you meet some woman at a bar or club or a party, she gives you her business card without asking when you take leave of each other, but then blows you off when you ask them out.

God, I hate looking for a job.

No comments: