Tuesday, December 04, 2001

I signed up with a Temp Agency yesterday. I've been unemployed now for almost four months and I'm running out of money. Spent four hours being tested on grammar, spelling, typing, data entry, math, word problems. You name it. Today they called and gave me a three month gig doing data entry at Bank of America for $12 an hour. They needed a decision real fast and since I'm not good making quick decisions, I decided to take it. Tomorrow, I'm getting up at 6 o'clock in the morning to go to work for the first time in four months. I can't wait.

While I was leaving, I wound up talking to the Receptionist at the Agency. She's a Temp too. She was telling me about how she just got out of school and signed up with about five temp agencies and barely making it. She had kind of an sad tone of voice as she talked about it, like she didn't realize it would be this hard and this wasn't what she expected. I just kind of laughed and told her that that's what I did when I got out of school and that it's kind of typical of things her age. Poor thing. They don't tell you things will be like that when you graduate from college. Especially the kids today, fresh out of collegeas they are, having just gone through the boom like we did.

Me? Been here before. Things really have come full-circle. A Bush is President, we're at war in the Middle East, a recession is going on and I'm doing data entry for temp work. Only this time I'm 33.

Sigh. Deja Vu all over again

No comments: