Wednesday, December 19, 2001

Went to take do some banking at my bank, that being, yes, Bank of America. Went to the ATM machines right by the office where I'm now working so we're talking state of the art ATMs. As I'm putting money in and taking money out, I notice that the that prompts you as to what buttons to push is flashing the information that the screen will soon have both audio and video capabilities. And I'm thinking, so?

Why the fuck do we need video and audio capabilities at an ATM machine. All most people want to do is take money out, put money in, or see how much money they have. I'm pretty sure they could care less about seeing something or hearing something as they are doing it. I'm guessing too that if you asked BofA customers what would be high on their list of things they want out of the bank, watching video while taking money out would not be high on their list. In fact, I'm guessing that it's probably way, way below things like not having to wait in a line for fifteen minutes at a bank because they only have two tellers working. Or not having to wait fifteen minutes on the phone when you try calling them. Or not getting gouged by mysterious ATM charges everytime you take money out.

And what exactly are they going to show? I'm guessing that they're not going to be showing you "Seinfeld" clips, highlights from "Sports Center" or the latest Creed video. No, I'm guessing they're going to bombard you with commercials. Commercials for the bank and for anyone else who pays BofA money. So, now, when you take money out of your bank, you are now in a position where once again, you are gonna get bombarded by ads. Thanks a fucking lot.

And all I want to do is to take out a $20 so I can buy coffee because the company is too fucking cheap to provide free coffee for it's employees. The people who run that bank are such a bunch of wankers.

No comments: