Sunday, October 23, 2005

I don't know why I'm really excited for the new Harry Potter movie, but I am. Really excited. Like hoping I see the preview excited. And it's not like the movies were really that good. Well, the third one was good, but not totally epic. It's just that the movies are now as much a part of the books and it's going to be awhile before the next book comes out. Or maybe it's because now that we're in our post-LOTR, post-Star Wars, post-Serenity movie days, there really doesn't appear to be anything that exciting to be released anymore.

When I hear people talk about movies, I always hear them say "there’s a lot of good movies out there." Which they always say, but that’s neither here nor there right now. What does it mean, then that the last three movies that I’ve seen are "Serenity," the Wallace & Gromit movie, and "The Corpse Bride?" Is there really that many good movies out there are am I just not seeing any of them.

Somehow, I don’t think it’s me. There really is nothing out there.

For instance, there’s that movie out there "North County" starring Charlize Theron, once again making herself ugly (as Bill Maher said "we get it, you’re a good actress, please be hot again…") in order to play some factory worker fighting against the system, this time in the cause of sexual harassment. This, of course, is one of those movies out there that’s supposed to be one of those "good movies" that everyone is supposed to be seeing and will probably get nominated a whole bunch of times. And all I can say is yawn. I mean, I haven’t seen this movie, but I’ve seen it. I can pretty much picture the entire movie in my head already. Because I saw it when it was "Norma Rae" or "Silkwood" or "Erin Brokovich" and okay, I never saw any of those movies, but still.

No comments: