Thursday, October 25, 2007

And away we go...

I just found out I didn't get a job I interviewed for last week. Not that I expected to get it, mainly because I realized halfway through the interview that I went one way to get the job, only to find out I needed to go another way to get the job. What I mean is that there's a certain amount of "spin" you need to do to get a job and I used the wrong spin.

The thing is that in retrospect, the job was almost exactly what I was looking for. It was beautiful, perfect, ideal. The problem, though, was that I didn't really know that until haflway through the job interview. Because they never really let on to what the job was. Sure there was a job description, one that I probably didn't read as carefully as I should have, but most job descriptions are kind of generic and bland and a bunch of buzzwords. The job had a lot of specifity to it that didn't get mentioned in the description.

But what happened is the interview started with the usual shifty, weasely HR person who basically went through my resume and wanted me to talk about all of my job experience. At no point did he actually say "well, this job is to...blah...blah...blah..." (one job I recently interviewed for actually let off with people drawing me diagrams of what the job would be like) so I bs'ed in the way I thought I needed to BS. It wasn't until the interview was over with the HR guy and I got a chance to kind of guess what the job was did I realize I BSed the wrong thing.

Enter the editor. She actually tells me what the job is and how it works and what I'm supposed to do. She even brings up a couple of things that definately fit right up my alley but, of course, I didn't know this because the HR person didn't bring any of this up. And it's too late for me to backtrack-- the damage was done.

Now the thing is the job might not have been perfect. It could have been for less money than I wanted and it was a bit of a commute and I could have hated it. But, of course, I'll never know. At this point, the job is the shiny, perfect, wonderful job that got away.

And since like job hunting is like dating, it's like this. Every once in awhile, you go out with somebody who just in the first date is awesome and that you'd make a great date. Halfway through, you're thinking "I like this girl. A lot." But then something happens-- bad timing, an inappropiate joke, an embarassing attempt at closing-- something, anything. And she might not have been the one, she might have been crazy psycho or still pining for her ex-girlfriend, or still trying to beat that nasty crystal meth habit, but you'll never get the chance to find all that stuff out.

No comments: