Sunday, October 21, 2007

If ever there was a reason to contemplate the ridiculousness of those super-huge SUV/trucks that dominate the world, consider my parking garage. Around the corner from me, down a really narrow alleyway, is a parking garage where I park my car. Because it's stuck in a tiny, congested part of the urban world, the parking garage is on the small-side with cars jammed here there and everywhere. I'm not sure, but for the most part, I think they actually shrink the sizes of the parking spots to accomodate all the cars that park there. Some of the cars that are in there, like mine, are for monthly parkers. Others are overspill from the main part of the garage, the one that's set up for people coming into the Mission (mainly I'm guessing from the outlands of outside San Francisco) and park there at night, mainly on the weekends.

Now the thing is it's a tiny parking garage in a tiny, narrow alleyway but the cars that I mainly see in the garage and in the alleyway are those huge, dinosaur-like SUV/trucks. So, when I take Ralphie (my beloved and well loved '94 honda) onto the alleyway to park, I often have to actually go onto the sidewalk to have enough room to move my car around the behomoths. Then, in the parking garage I have to squeeze Ralphie into already tight spaces in between those cars and surprisingly enough (I'm being ironical here), most of the people who drive those big-ass cars are also lousy parkers and don't seem to care at all that a small portion of their car is actually in another person's spot.

Now the thing is that this is all in a city. Cities are tight and condense and not built for big-ass cars. Yet, all I constantly have to deal with those ridiculous, behomoths that don't friggin fit.

I hate those cars.

No comments: