Wednesday, January 23, 2008

You know what makes you feel really good when you're about to get laid off? News all over the place that the economy is about to go in the toilet.

Yay?

Anyways, just to keep everyone abreast of the sitch, in the past week, I

-Got an email from a place that blew me off saying they have another position opening up and whether or not I'd like to come in this time.
-Did a phone interview with somebody who came off right quick as crazy. The type of person who asks me about where I grew up and why I came to California before even asking me about my skills on the job. I knew something was up when in an email she asked me if I read Hebrew. Turns out the printing company she works for does a lot of work for synagogues. Now, nothing against synagogues, but I don't see them paying very well. Or being that exciting. Regardless, I don't know why she'd think I'd go from four years doing direct marketing at Super Mondo Corp to direct marketing for Temple Beth Siduit
-Got another email from a company in Santa Cruz. Bad, right? Except they said I can telecommute. Good, right? In all honesty, I dunno. I kinda like the idea of working from home but it's too easy to think you're at home and start doing things you'd normally do when you're home. Like watch tv. Or surf the web. Or go see bargain matinees.

And finally...

Last week I had an interview at an agency. A really good agency. After the interview, I had fallen in love with the place and agency. I thought I did really well in the interview too, with somebody even telling me she'd like to bring me back to meet with her boss. Haven't heard back from them, of course, and I didn't get an email giving me the standard "position is closed" or the line that's really popular these days: we have an internal candidate.

The thing is that I was supposed to go in the interview for an online job, the kind of job I'm looking for. But they threw me a loop and had my first interview be with somebody who does mainly print. Okay, I can do that. I kinda like doing that, but wha? I kept on thinking in my head if I got this job mixed up with another job. Plus, I was all prepared to say one thing but found myself desperately scrambling to say what I needed in this particular interview.

So they leave and in comes somebody to talk to me about an online job. So I switch gears again and talk online, still massively confused as to what the hell is going on and why is it that two different people gave me two different descriptions of the job. It kinda reminded me of the dot.com days when you'd interview for a job nobody quite knew what the job exactly was so you'd hear three or four descriptions of the job while interviewing with people.

Anyways, then the HR person comes in and I actually tell her I'm kinda confused as to what's going on and that two people gave me two different descriptions of the job. You know, to let her know that people are confused out there. Turns out another job opened up and they decided to throw me in there just to see how I'd do.

And how'd I do? Well, naturally, confused.

The pisser of it is that if I knew I was up for the first job, I would have said what I needed to say and probably had a better shot getting that job then the job I interviewed for. Mainly because my interview with the dude was one of the best one's I've had.

C'est la vie.

No comments: