Sunday, February 13, 2005

Does this sound really pretentious when I say that the ostrich portobello appetizer at Blowfish just might be the best thing ever?

Yes?

Oh well. But seriously, it's frickin' good.

From last week's yoga class- the place I've been going to has recently changed everything around. New name, new teachers, new theme. But as it doesn’t have a new location, it's still the place for me. So I went there last Sunday, the first time I've been there after all the new changes. This class had two new teachers, a man and woman tag-team.

How shall I describe the teachers? I knew I was in trouble from the get-go when they gave their little introductory speech about how friendship was going to be the theme of the class (some of the teachers try and give some sort of pep talk before the class) and everytime they'd talk about the power of friendship, they'd clasp each others hands, turn to each other, and then give themselves warm fuzzy smiles. It goes without saying that within minutes of the class I already felt like I was going to throw up in my mouth.

They were like something out of a Christopher Guest movie. They finished each other's sentences and when they let the other person speak, they'd shake their heads and exclaim their affirmation to everyone. When one of them was teaching, the other one would finish off a command with a "oh yeah!" or "okay everyone!" And then, to top it all off, they finished the class by handing out copies of that old yoga standard, Amazing Grace, and led everyone in several rounds of the song. Craziest part of the whole bit? There were enough people into it that I could hear counter melodies and harmony.

And yes, my droogies, it was maybe the hardest yoga class I've ever had to sit through.

Thank God it was Superbowl Sunday. Nothing like washing away all that with beer, cheese steaks, and the Godaddy.com ad.

No comments: