Tuesday, March 08, 2005

I was talking to somebody about when a dog dies and joking about dog heaven. In this dog heaven, dogs get to run around free and chase bunny rabbits. And then it occured to me that being chased by dogs is probably not heaven to a bunny. So, would that then make it bunny hell? Is that where all the bad bunnies would go?

Anyhoo, I am once again attempting "War and Peace." I even bought it, thinking that if I was going to spend the money on it, I might as well read it. So far, it's not going so badly (I'm on page 40!). I think it's because whoever is doing the translation decided to shorten the names. Instead of people constantly being referred to as, say, Boris Nikolai Romanov Federov Pavelvich, the edition would just refer to them as Boris Pavelvich. Believe it or not, this makes a huge difference in that whenever I first tried to read the book, my eyes would completely glaze over whenver somebody's name is written. Considering the first couple of scenes take place at parties where every main character is introduced, it felt like 1/3 of the written page was people's names. Yawn.

I have noticed too that in this go around, it seems to be doing a good job of curing my insomnia.

No comments: