Thursday, March 17, 2005

Meant to post this last night but blogger was down..


Yes, I haven't been posting. Sorry. It looks like one of those office bugs finally got to me and I've been going mano-a-mano with a cold this week. And speaking of which, here was my morning....

The cold kicked in Monday afternoon and started wrecking havoc yesterday. Naturally, I got a totally craptastic sleep Tuesday night. I think it was because between the cold and having to get into work early for a meeting, I got myself so psyched up on the idea of sleeping that I couldn't sleep. So, I woke up at 6:30 this morning, feeling totally icky, achey, and groggy. I got to the BART station at 7:10, bright and early, but BART was running late, which made me wonder if something was wrong. It was. Ten minutes later, BART finally pulls in and I get on. We pull into the Airport, the stop right before the stop I get off at, about ten minutes late and just stop there. No announcement, no movement, nothing. Another train pulls in after a few minutes and I see that that train is supposed to go to my Millbrae stop. Not knowing what to do, I get off my train and hop onto the next train. As I sit there, waiting several minutes as nothing was happening, I wondered if what I did was the right thing. I also wondered just how late I was going to be for my shuttle because if I miss it, I'll have to wait for another train which'll mean a twenty minute wait and getting into work a half-an-hour later than I planned.

Finally, as the steam started to come out of my ears, the train's doors closed and we moved. The only other guy on the train got a panicked look on his face and wanted to know if he got on the right train. I told him I didn't know either. Luckily, it was the right train as we moved onto the tracks for Milbrae. Ten minutes late and about five minutes after the shuttle was supposed to have left we finally pulled in. Sometimes the shuttle sticks around, sometimes it doesn't. Come on shuttle.

I run down the stairs and see what could be my shuttle. So I start walking to it. I also notice somebody else who takes the shuttle go running off in a completely different direction. I watch to see where he's going and I realize he sees the shuttle we need to take not in the waiting area, but exiting onto the street, about 100 yards away. Realizing this could be my only shot, I start high-tailing it to the shuttle- cold ridden, groggy me.

You can pretty much guess what happened, don't you? I missed it. About twenty yards away, the shuttle pulled away and got onto the off-ramp. Bye-bye shuttle, hello CalTrains and a fifteen to twenty minute.

Get on Cal-Train, get on that shuttle and get myself into the office around 9, about half-an-hour after I planned, almost two hours after I left my apartment. Luckily, my meeting wasn't til 9:15, but I have a lot of work to do and I probably wasn't going to get to it. Go to the cafeteria to get some breakfast (oatmeal) and try to get onto the elevator to take me up to my office. Uno problemo- to get the elevator to run, I need to use my door pass. For whatever reason, my door pass wasn't working. Wasn't working at all. In fact, it was barely working yesterday but today, nada. Turns out it was my 6 month anniversary at the job (yay me!) and the door pass expired. And the thing is, the security is so tight at Super Mondo that if you can't get use the door pass, you can't get in. The security is so tight that don't even think about getting a day pass or having a receptionist buzz you in.

So I did what I could only do- I waited. And waited. And waited some more to see if someone would get on the elevator and take me up to my floor. Nobody, however, was getting on it. There was barely anyone there, in fact. I called a friend on my cell to see if she was there and she could come get me, but she wasn't in yet. After about five to ten minutes of waiting, somebody finally hopped on the elevator and at 9:20, I got to my desk.

Oh, and I had one message waiting from me. From the person who the meeting was being held for. They were going to be late.

No comments: