Tuesday, March 29, 2005

My mother, who doesn't read this but will probably click on today just because I'm about to write about her, is one of those people who obsesses over plans and logistics. I am once again going to go back East and the mere mention of my trip immediately causes a five minute discourse on how I could get around. Now, I've lived in California for about twenty years and during those twenty years, have always gone back home at least once or twice a year. And every time I go back home, I do a fairly good job of getting around. It's actually kind of easy as there's one train that goes from D.C. to New York on a fairly regular basis. There's also busses and friends and subways too. In other words, I know how to get around the East Coast. At no point have I gone back and not had any problems figuring out where to go and, in fact, have gotten pretty good at navigating around D.C. and New York by myself. Yet still, whenever I get on the phone and mention going back east, my mother starts launching into "well, you can take a train to go to Philadelphia, or you can take a bus, or maybe you can borrow my car...."

Then, after I get her off the subject, it's impossible for her to not get back on the subject. After finally getting her to stop discussing travel arrangements between her, my brother, and my dad, I mention the fact that I'm going to go to a Phillies game one night and, blammo "well, you could take the subway, or I could drive you here, or your friend could pick you up but I don't know if that's on the way....."

No comments: