Monday, July 25, 2005

And so it finally happened, I lopped off my hair. The long/styled hair phase of my life is over. And it feels good.

The way I see it, everyone goes through a funky hair phase. I never did. For whatever reason, I decided to do it this year. And yeah, it was kind of fun and yeah, I probably had way too many bad hair days (more than I'd ever want to think about), the whole thing felt like some fevered dream that involved me but wasn't me. And Auntie Em and Uncle Henry were there too. All of which pretty much explains how the last few months have felt.

Funny thing is I probably would have lopped it off long ago, but it's just such a dramatic change and I hate the whole "oh, you got a haircut" thing so much that I chickened out just so I would avoid having to do that. And yeah, pretty stupid. But I'm liking short hair again. Among other things, it takes about five seconds to deal with in the morning. And I pretty much know what it's going to look like during the day. And I don't have to go to the blow dryer at the gym to dry my hair before leaving, then go to the bathroom when I get back to the office a few minutes later because the wind totally destroyed anything I did to it. Right now, well, everything feels like it's in the right place.

And one more thing. I used to have this theory that one could tell what kind of stage of their life they were in depending on the kind of bed they got. In college, it's a hand me down that they pretty much shared with a roomate. Post-college, it's usually either the futon or the mattress on the floor. Then, when you get older and more mature, you finally move up to an actual, real life bed. Last stage, well other than the death bed, is the king sized bed for when you're coupled.

After way too many years sleepin on a raised futon, I finally threw down and got myself a real bed. A real expensive bed (seriously, how can beds be so expensive? It's just a mattress on a frame?). And man, I can't wait to sleep in it. Better yet, I can't wait to kick back and spend entire weekends doing nothing but watching Tivo in bed.

That's living.

No comments: