Tuesday, July 05, 2005

The latest with my favorite new credit card company is that I actually got through to somebody on the phone who could take my credit card payment. So still glowing over paying off my other card, I gave them a huge, heaping amount check over the phone. Which they never got around to processing. On the other hand, they call me every other day to let me know that I can find a great offer on their Web site.

You know, I'm trying to pay this thing off, but they just don't seem to want to let me.

As for my other card, the one I just paid off, I actually did such a good job of paying them off that they know owe me money. I love online banking, but everyonce in awhile, something goes wrong and something went wrong. I somehow, unwittingly, wound up giving them two payments last month. So, to sum up, with one credit card I can't pay them no matter how hard I try. The other one, I keep on paying them even if I don't have anything left to pay.

Onto other things, I just finished a book last week and am now sans books. So I picked up a book that I got for my birthday, a 1,000 page book on Caesar and the fall of the Roman Republic. It's actually part of a seven book volume all about the fall of the Republic and I totally love the books. I love historical fiction and since we all have a secret love of empire buried deep within us, my favorite empire is the Romans. Because "apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh-water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?" They were total bad asses and as long as you left them alone, they wouldn't fuck with you. And yeah, the fall of the Republic stuff does seem a tad prescient these days.

Anyhoo, the problem with the book is that it's 1,000 pages at least and pretty dense stuff. Not something one can read over a few days. While that itself isn't a problem, I did just read "War and Peace" after all, it is in that in about, oh, twelve days, my copy of the new Harry Potter book is showing up in which case I'm pretty much dropping what I'm doing and reading it. Which is why I'm not into starting a huge, epic, tome. Of course, it'll take about two to three days to read the new Harry Potter book, if that, but still.

No comments: