Tuesday, February 28, 2006

I think I figured out the rotation our volleyball team plays in. This after my second week on the team.

Here is what we do if we serve the ball:

Server moves up to play center-back
Center back moves to center
Center moves to right front
Right front person moves the left
Left front stays in the front
Left back stands right behind left front
Once ball is returned, everyone chase after ball.

This position is, I think, called the wedge and was perfected by the Hungarians during the 80 Olympics. It's strengths are that with three people playing on the left-side front, we're more than covered if the other team hits it in that position. It's not so good if they hit it elsewhere.

And here's what we do if the other team serves the ball:
Server moves front right
Front right moves to center
Center front moves to left front
Left front moves to center
Center back moves to center
Right back moves to front center
And once again, once the ball is hit, everyone chases after it.

This is called the Trapezoidal Position.


That, of course, is how the plays are diagrammed to be. I, apparently, am having problems following because, in typical fashion, I seem to be the only to see the insanity of it all and instead of doing something about it and speaking out, have decided to just stick to position, hit the ball if it comes to me, and maintain my own little world of sanity.

Also, here are some more rules:
If it's hit to you, set the ball except for when somebody is breathing down your back. Then you let them have it. Only set the ball if there's nobody breathing down your back.

If it's one of three players, they get the ball any time they want.

Apparently, if you set the ball and quickly move up to the front of the net, leaving the back open and being right on top of the person who is supposed to play in the front of then net, the person in front of the net is out of posiition.

I should also say that everyone on my team is pretty nice and not very douche-y about it all. I just think it's stupid.

No comments: