Monday, December 17, 2007

Today, it's..... Fear and Loathing on the Job Hunt!!!!!!!!!!

-There was this agency for which I interviewed maybe a month ago. Things went really well and I really liked the place but I never got that oh so awesome "we want to hire you" phone call. When I checked in, I was told that they really wanted to give me a job offer, but they wanted to hire someone as a freelancer at first and they couldn’t offer me the job because I only wanted to go full-time. That was, apparently, a hitch. They even told me that they’ll look around for a few weeks and and if they can’t find anybody, they’ll let me know and they’ll bring me in again, the job hunting equivalent of “I really want to date you but I can’t commit to anyone right now so let me go on a few more dates and if I don’t find anybody else, we can totally go out.”

After a week or so, I decided to screw it (partly out of panic, partly because I had a really good feeling about the place) and sent an email essentially saying "Let's Make a Deal." A few days later, I got an email from my contact saying she was going away for a few days but will give me a call to figure something out when she gets back.

Anyways, one thing leads to another and I don't hear back from them when they said they would. Today, I finally heard back from them . Apparently, they found somebody in the past week who they wanted to bring in for five weeks. If it works out, they’ll hire them full time. If it doesn’t, hey, wanna job?

All of which means I am now essentially rooting for somebody to fuck up so I can get their job.

-I have an interview with some agency this week but I forgot when exactly it is. I know-- boneheaded, but they did call me to reschedule the interview around 6 while I was on 101 and didn't have anything to write it down. I was also too busy concentrating on not getting into an accident. So now I have to figure out a way of finding out what time the interview is while not letting them I couldn't remember when the interview is.

-And finally...

Had an interview last Friday morning. Due to various reasons , I went into the interview a little tired, a little hungover and seriously deficient in both coffee and breakfast.

The interview was one of those types where I'm supposed to meet with three different people over a two and a half session, one of those long, grueling type situations. The first interview was pretty good-- she was actually a fan of mine from SFist (one of my few) and everything went well.

The second interview, however, was not so good. The guy I met with basically babbled on for over half-an-hour, telling me everything from his work experience to what he's done at the company to his philosophy on life to what a great place to work this company is. Over this entire thing, he basically asked one question and let me get in about ten words.

It was HELL.

This being an interview, of course, I had to pretend I was totally into it and that it was the most fascinating thing I had ever heard. All of which meant that over the entire thing, I had to exert a whole lot of energy:
1)Ttrying to pay attention
2)Trying not to fall asleep

Towards the end, the only thing I could think of (other than how much I wanted coffee and a burrito) was, essentially "Jesus Christ, get me out of here."

Luckily, the dude went too long, way past his allotted half-an-hour and so when it was over, my scheduled interview time was over. When I was asked if I wanted to stick around and finish up, I told them I had to get back to my job, gave everyone a hand-shake, and ran to the first coffee shop I could find.

No comments: