Saturday, July 05, 2003

Another Public Service Announcement, courtesy of Hooray for Anything

Dear hipsters, this wearing a mesh-hat sideways thing- got to go. I could argue that it makes you look like an idiot, but that, of course, wouldn't quite work (I am, after all 35 and am no longer considered part of "the scene". I am now the action that causes the reaction). Instead, I'll argue it this way. One, you are neither a redneck nor white trash. You are a hipster in San Francisco- the Ying to the Redneck's yang. It doesn't get any less whitetrash than that.

You are also not black. You are white. As white can white be. Black people don't even really pull off the cock-eyed baseball hat and if they can't, you certainly can't. Trust me on this.

I know you are trying to have the affectations of a redneck/black person in your never-ending quest for authenticity, but you are neither (although, one could argue that authentic hipster gear is to wear the cock-eyed mesh baseball hat, in which case you are being authentic, but as it's a three-day weekend, I don't have the energy to get into such Fun-House of Mirror's philosophical dialectialism). You are white and upper-middle class. Get over it.

No comments: