Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Oom Paa Loom Pa

I already talked about how hidef TV makes hair pieces and botox more noticeable but there's another thing I'm noticing too, even on non-hidef channels, and that is the amazing prevalence of both shiny bleached teeth and fake tans. Everywhere I go, I'm seeing white teeth that glow and orange skin that glows. Even on a lot of people who you'd least expect to (Stephen Colbert, as much as I love him, totally not only dies his hair but has sand blasted his teeth). This is especially noteworthy on the cable news channels because while you kind of expect, say, the stars of Desperate Housewives to be brith and orange, you don't quite expect it with "news journalists" or at least hope they'd show enough for their profession not to go fake. But no.

I'm watching CNN right now and everyone on that show is orange. Gloria Borger looks like a carrot. As much as Anderson Cooper tries to play serious journalist and not a pretty boy, has pearly white teeth and a bit of a tint. And, yes, so does Wolf. Even scarier, Bill Bennett, you know the guy who likes to scold everyone for moral infalability looks like he dropped a bucket of orange paint over him. It's even true of people who you wouldn't expect. Rachel Maddow's pearly whites are particularly pearly and Keith Oberlmann, someone who's schtick I grew tired of years ago, hits the trifecta of hair piece, shinhy teeth, and orange skin.

Naturally, of course, know that I'm aware of all of this, I can't stop noticing it. Everywhere I go, it's shiny teeth and orange skin. Between the fake tans, hair pieces, and botox, watching tv or movies can often seem like watching a whole other species.

No comments: