Monday, April 06, 2009

Sometimes, I Hate This Country

The closest liquor store to our apartment is owned by a family of Pakistanis. Up against the wall in the back they have a tv that is constantly on and they usually have some sort of digital feed that relays news from Pakistan, usually involving cricket, on but this time the guy who usually works there had CNN on. The story they were discussing was Obama's big speech in Turkey today in which he tried to make the point that America isn't going to bomb the shit out of every Arab land and they were taking calls from people watching CNN about their opinions on his speech. As I got up to the counter to make my purchase, a caller was put on the air and the moment I heard his scratchy, cigarette-scarred, Southern voice I knew this wasn't going to end well and I was right--I didn't hear exactly what he was saying but whenever you hear the words "Muslim Sleeper Cells in America" you know it ain't exactly I Heart Moslems. When he was done I felt like apologizing to the guy at the counter on behalf of my countrymen.

No comments: