Sunday, April 19, 2009

Those Were the Days

I'm back.....

I saw "Adventureland" last night and it was a really sweet and wonderful little movie but it made me feel something weird, mainly nostalgic. Normally, I tend to avoid anything remotely nostalgic because because the reality was that I hated the '80's and hated a large part of my adolescence. Why should I feel nostalgic for things of that period when I didn't really like things from that period? Okay, I can get feeling nostalgic for youth long gone, but I can't get feeling nostalgic for anything from the '80's because I thought the '80's kinda sucked.

Yet, "Adventureland" made me feel nostalgic. Specifically, it made feel nostalgic for that time I spent a summer working at an amusement park and met this beautiful if extremely broody Jewish girl who listened to Husker Du and the Replacements and we hooked up and started dating towards the end of that summer.

Oh wait-- that didn't really happen to me-- it happened in the movie.

I guess that's the thing about "Adventureland," it made me nostalgic for things that didn't actually happen to me but felt like it could have (and probably would have been cool if it did). Which, I guess, is proof that it's a really good movie.

No comments: