Monday, April 27, 2009

Your April Job Status

For those wondering how things are going for the unemployed these days, in the three months since I've been out of work, I average about 2-3 resumes sent out a day. This has gotten me two phone interviews although as they were for the same position, that only counts as one. I've had the potential for three more, but two of them were for jobs that I discovered paid ridiculously low amounts of wages (one of them by a major hi-tech company that should know better) and the other was cancelled the day before the interview because they found somebody. Which sucks because if I didn't even get the chance to screw up an interview. And that's it.

I've also sent resumes out to about 10 employment agencies and have only gone in to talk to three of them. The thing about them is that I should be temping but as I earn more on unemployment, it's not really worth it to me to take super-crappy jobs. Which means that I don't have to take super crappy jobs (yay me!) but probably can't find a job that'll pay more as those jobs only exist to people who made a career out of doing admin work as opposed to those of us who made a career out of doing admin work whenever they were laid off.

The good news that I've discovered is that California will actually give grants out if you need money for some sort of career retraining, which is good because all things considering, I need a new career. Hopefully whenever you do such a thing, they don't do that hard of a job checking on what you do with it because plane fair to Australia is ridiculously cheap these days.

No comments: