Thursday, March 28, 2002

We're live today from Carlisle PA, a little burg in the center of nowhere PA. It's actually kind of a nice, cute little town near Harrisburg that's your prototypical small town, Middle America U.S.A, except without the rednecks, country music, or pick-up trucks. What makes it especially cool is that the Weightlifting Hall of Fame is only ten miles away! Someday.....someday.....

Got some catching up to do, story-wise, so in honor of my gracious NY host, the mighty Van Hoven, here comes some tall tales....

Went bowling in the Bronx last sunday. Why bowling in the Bronx? Do you even have to ask? Even better, the alley was called "The Yankee Stadium Bowling Alley" as it was only half a block away from the House that Ruth Built. Need I say more? All I can say is, that it's a long, long way from San Francisco.

VH was en fuego, bowling the greatest game of his life. Yes, the mighty Bon Joqui himself bowled five strikes in a row (I'm supposed to let everyone know so his bowling exploits will now forever be enshrined). Even I bowled a few strikes myself, having discovered too late that I could have been one of the great Jewish bowlers of all time (and boy, is there a lot of stiff competition there) if I had only stumbled onto a four fingered bowling ball before.

What made it even more impressive is that there was something whacky going on with the pins. People would bowl perfectly bowled balls and no matter how well the ball was bowled, somehow, every pin but one would fall down. It seemed like for awhile, everyone was doing nothing but bowling 9's. Or, if they were lucky, a spare. It was pretty funny sometimes, like there was a magnet underneath the lane that would prevent the pin from going down. I wanted to diagram the actions of the pins because I believed that on certain turns, it was physically impossible for a certain pin to be still standing. The only way I could explain it was theMagic Pin of Bowling. The pin would head towards another pin, then, turn in mid-flight and hit something else. Back.....forward....back......forward.....

Oh well, guess you had to be there....

No comments: