Tuesday, March 12, 2002

When I was younger, so much younger than today, I did crappy data-entry Temp jobs all the time. I didn't mind it back then, even kind of got into the zen of it all. I can't, however, do it anymore. Even though I like the place where I work and it's a totally kick-back environment, I'm going fucking crazy typing away all day. It's so damn boring that the only way I think I could deal with it is to just take thorazine all day. When I try to think about why I could handle boring data-entry jobs before, the only thing I can come up with is the fact that I was pretty much partying constantly back then and was so hungover from it that I didn't mind the job. My problem now, I guess, is that I'm just not partying anymore. So, I guess if I'm gonna have to keep on doing temp jobs, I'm gonna have to start partying.

Speaking of work, I love all the recent stories lately about how the Recession supposedly didn't happen. I guess all these profressors, government officials, and economists at think tanks crunched some numbers, built some spread sheets, and carried over a few numbers and decided that, hey, the economy's doing just fine- sorry, nothing to see here. Oh yeah? Then why can't I fucking get a job? And why do I know so many people who are still laid off?

See, all those people have jobs. The government officials got put in by the President, so they got a job for at least another three years. The profressors are all tenured so they're not going anywhere, and all the economists at the various Think Tanks are just living off the fat of the land (what is a Think Tank anyways? How do I get a job with one of them? I'd love that job, just sitting around thinking all day. Give me a bong hit and some Radiohead and I'll think with the best of them). They all have jobs. They all don't have to worry about paying rent, looking for work, or doing data entry all day. It's easy for them to say what they said.

Here's what I think- next time we're in a supposed downturn, all those economists should be laid off, fired, downsized. Whatever. See how they like it. Then, they should have to go out and find a job. When that happens, then they can say the recession is over. In the meantime, shut the fuck up.

No comments: