Monday, November 28, 2005

The weirdest thing happened on one of my flights back from the East Coast yesterday- they actually played a movie I wanted to watch on one of the flights. Usually, when you open up one of those in-flight magazines to read what movies are available, you’ll see that all the other flights have movies like "The Godfather," "Star Wars" and "Zoolander" (I love Zoolander) showing while you’re stuck with "Herbie the Love: Starring Lindsey Lohan" (which I actually watched coming home from Germany out of boredom and wasn’t half bad for a movie that you watch only to kill two hours out of a ten hour flight).

The movie was the redone "Willie Wonka" which is the perfect in-flight movie: a movie that you kind of want to see, but don’t want to spend any money in seeing. It wasn’t that bad, actually, although, yes, the original is a hundred times better.

On the way over, they actually showed the redone "Bad News Bears," another movie I thought would make a perfect in-flight movie. After fifteen minutes, I gave up and went back to reading. Unlike "Willie Wonka," which was original enough to make it interesting, "Bad News Bears" was pretty much like the original and since I’ve seen the original about twenty times (especially lately as it’s been on cable a lot and it’s one of those movies that’s totally watchable whenever you click on it), I already knew what was coming. Why sit through the movie when I had already seen it. Or kind of already seen it. Besides, I kept on saying to myself things like "what’s up with Engleberg? That’s totally not Engleberg. And what the hell is up with Kelly Leak?"

Oh yeah, one more plane flying note: to the family sitting behind me at the Albany airport, if you’re all doing the People Magazine crossword puzzle and have to resort to going to Google on your Blackberry to get answers to the questions and still can’t figure out the answers, I’d give up on the idea that one of the kids will someday grow up to win a Nobel Prize. Or any prize, actually. Except for maybe "Most Popular Kid On Campus" at the local Community College.

No comments: