Tuesday, November 01, 2005

When I go to work, I get off a bus that stops across the street from my building. To get to my building, you have to cross a street with a stop light and a very long wait. There's not that much traffic.

At the cross walk, if there's no car coming, I walk. Even if there's no "Walk" sign. And sometimes, if there's only a few cars or cars coming but still far away, I'll cross anyways. Cause I hate waiting.

I've noticed, however, that when I cross, I'll look back at all the other people who got off the stop with me and they're all standing there, waiting for the "walk" signal. They'll sit there and wait, and wait, and wait even if there's no cars to be found.

Is it wrong for to cross? It's breaking the law in a way, or at least going against order. And if you don't do what you're told and follow order, there's anarchy. On the other hand, it strikes me as totally stupid to sit there and wait at a cross walk for imaginary cars to go past. Is it just my complete inability to follow any rule deemed as silly? Am I just smarter than anyone? Or am I a scofflaw?

I have noticed, however, that one of my fellow travelers, the Ignatius Reilly character, is starting to follow me across. Sometimes he's even more daring than I am.

And this kind of makes me proud.

No comments: