Monday, February 02, 2009

And, yes, I'm unemployed again. Kind of fitting that my first day of unemployment coincedes with Groundhog Day.

So how did I spend the day? Seeing a movie? Going on a bike ride? Reading? Spent it hopping on the 38 Geary to run to the Apple Store because I spilled coffee on my laptop and a few of the keys, mainly the one's in the middle, don't work.

This is a bit of a problem.

The spill wasn't actually one of those klutzy things I normally do or what people would have expected me to do. Basically, I was just sitting there at the table, drinking coffee and reading the internet when I suddenly felt a sneeze come upon me and the reaction to the sneeze is what lead to the spillage. Okay, it is still kinda klutzy but you try not spilling in that situation?

So now I don't have keys that work. What to do, what to do? First thing I do is think about going online and finding a solution. Except I can't really go online because I can't really type certain things into Google due to the fact I can't type certain letters. I tried it on my iPhone but as much as I love the iPhone it's web surfing capabilities are not such that you want to rely upon it in an emergency. Harlan has does have a computer but it's specatacularly crappy.

Not finding anything online, I do the next thing which is to make an appointment at Apple's Genius Bar. Funny thing about that-- you have to make an appointment online, you can't do it by phone. Which is great and all except for one simple fact-- you can't go online and make an appointment if you can't get online. After some bit of struggling, I was able to do it, but I'm thinking that there's a whole bunch of people who have run into that problem who were completely screwed.

I made the appointment and then did what I dread doing-- hopping on the 38 Geary (not that I'm out in the 'burbs, my quick little trips downtown aren't so quick) and made way downtown to the Apple Store which was jam packed, something a little off considering it was 2 in the afternoon.

Finally, after waiting for half an hour just to get called, I went up there and was told by the dude at the Genius Bar that there really is nothing he can do and that the only thing I can do is turn the computer off and hope that the liquid dries. I could also take a blow dryer to it and hope that works or put it upside down and hope that it drains or even put a towel in there and put it upside down that way. None of which is a 100% guarentee to work. And if it doesn't work, well, say hello to a new keyboard and the kissing of upwards of $1000 goodbye.

And that's the exact kind of thing you want to be hearing on your first day of unemployment

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sorry to hear about the layoff. since you are posting, does that mean your keyboard is fixed?