Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Maybe it's because I'm new to the whole Big-Ass Tech Company thing but I just discovered today that Super-Mondo Corporation outsources their IT Department. This means that there's no slightly overweight, cigarette smoking, bitter Tech Geek to help fix a computer when it needs fixing. Instead, you get Sanjay from Bangalore. Kind of ironic considering it's a High Tech company.

Today I finally got an e-mail account, but naturally I had problems getting my e-mail. So I had to call the Help Line. I had to spend around an hour waiting for somebody to pick up my call, being bombarded by ads and bad "Matrix" sounding muzak the whole way. For calling for Tech Support in the company I work for. When I finally got somebody, I got somebody whose English, shall we say, wasn't so great. Not that she was that bad, but having somebody try to explain things while over the phone is hard enough, much harder if they have to try and spell everything out for you ("that's A as in 'Apple' and B as in 'Boy'….). And it's a lot, lot harder if they don't ask what type of computer you have and spend the first ten minutes assuming you have a PC (I have a Mac). She kept on telling me to go click on the "Start" button and it took me about ten minutes before I figured out the reason I couldn't find a damn "Start" button is because Mac's don't have no damn "Start" button.

PS- Turns out nobody in India knows how to fix a Mac. Everytime I tell them that, they start getting panicked and start pulling things out of their asses.

No comments: