Monday, September 06, 2004

Yesterday I had a draft for another Fantasy Football League. What can I say, I'se a love me some fantasy football. Plus, I figure that because my other league, the one I've been in for years, is pretty gosh-darn tough, I should be able to use what I've learned to kick some major butt on the chumps who allowed me to play for them.

Once again, in signing up for a league, I had to give my team a name, always a big decision. The name, after all, is who I am and who I want to represent. Now, both my my other fantasy football team and fantasy baseball team have the same team name- the clever and erudite "Bite Me." What can I say, I must have been in a crabby mood when I chose it (I know, moi? Crabby?). Actually, considering these leagues are usually all men, you need to come up with some sort of strong and aggressive, yet imminently stupid name. Thus Bite me. After all, I gotta show my masculine bona fides.

For this league, I wanted to mix things up, to change things around. So I searched my mind to come up with another name and came up with what I thought was a brilliant name- "The People's Front of Judea." Brilliant name, right? It sounds kind of aggressive and macho yet is totally silly and a way cool pop culture allusion. Who doesn't love the whole "People's Front of Judea/Judean People's Front" thing? Just thinking about it brings a smile to my face. Everyone in the league will fall down in hysterics just hearing my name.

Except nobody knew the allusion. Well, one guy did, but nobody else. And nothing bombs bigger than a supposedly hip and wanna-be funny pop cultural allusion that nobody gets. Even worse is having to try and explain to all these dudes, all of whom I had never met before, where the allusion comes from. Because as we all know, nothing says "cool" and "dude-like" like Monty Python allusions.

The best part? When I told somebody what the name was, they said "is that some kind of Star Trek thing?" Is there any way of answering that without coming off like a big, huge dork?

No comments: