Tuesday, September 14, 2004

There's somebody I work with who I'm pretty sure is Jewish. And not only Jewish, but possibly Israeli. I can tell because I have a pretty good sense of Jaydar. That and the fact that his first name is Hebrew.

Because I like finding knowing who the fellow Hebes are, I tried to think of a way to know for sure. You can't, after all, just go up to somebody and say "hey, are you Jewish?" That would be bad. Turns out that the guy is taking the next three days off, which also happens to be Rosh Hashanah, and so I had my opening.

Today at work, having yet more Birthday Cake, I started asking him where he was going. Yep, just as I thought, he was headed home (Houston) to be with his family for Rosh Hashanah. So I started dropping hints to him that I was Jewish too. Like letting slip I knew when Rosh Hashanah is or that Yom Kippur is on a Saturday (nothing says weekend, by the way, like atoning for your sins. Which makes sense in a way because it's the weekend when one does most of their sinning). He didn't pick up on it. Didn't pick up on it all. In fact, when I mentioned something, he went into some long explanation of the thing as if I didn't know anything at all, like how Yom Kippur is eight days after Rosh Hashanah or that the holiday starts on sundown. Once again, I thought up a way to drop an even bigger hint but decided to let it lie for now. Maybe drop a "L'shana Tovah" on him when I leave. Or ask him if he's working on the Friday before Yom Kippur.

But I couldn't pull the trigger. Because just as I was thinking up ways of letting him know I was Jewish, I kept on getting this mental image of the guy on the Philly Season of "The Real World," the one who spent the entire premiere episode trying to figure out ways of telling each of his roommates that he was gay. So I dropped it.

No comments: