Saturday, September 04, 2004

Yes, it's a little late, but here comes (drum roll please…..) the Bay Guardian Wank of the Week.

It's a little hard to believe that despite the presence of six (six!) reviews of the Vincent Gallo "hey, I got Chloe to blow me" flick, the Wank of the Week has nothing to do with "The Brown Bunny." Talking bunnies, on the other hand….

Yep, the Wank of the Week comes from us from one of the two reviews of "Donnie Darko" a movie which I regrettably have to admit to not getting and not particularly liking. I want to like it, but for some reason I don't. Which makes me feel like a dolt because I'm just not a cinéaste enough to see that the movie:

"…maintained a great deal of dignity while being cuttingly satirical and viscerally hip. It suggested everything and divulged nothing. It captured, but didn't cage, its ambiguous reveries on the magic of first love, the realization of mortality, the awakening of sexual identity, and the power struggles inherent in adolescents assuming adult responsibilities. It commanded a palatable sense of silence and the unspoken while blending together a soundscape that was at once mournful, pointedly nostalgic, and lushly romantic. Donnie Darko was a cinéaste's intoxicating dream: pure and fragile poetry that became more potent with each viewing, profound because its mysteries were unanswered and therefore universal."

I feel so stupid.

No comments: